When you are faced with a pest infestation in your home you basically have two options to rectify the problem; you can either use do-it-yourself methods or hire a professional pest control company. DIY methods are only effective for certain types of pests when it is not a severe infestation. For difficult pests such as bed bugs and termites, or when an infestation of any pest has surpassed a certain level, a professional pest control company should be called to properly eradicate the pests at hand.
Anyone who has had to hire a pest management company in Mississauga knows very well how costly it can be. The last thing you want when hiring a pest control company is for the treatment to be ineffective, costing you time, money and further aggravation.
With so many pest control companies in Mississauga how do you ensure that the pest control professionals you are hiring are diligent to get the job done right the first time? This article will give you tips on what to look for and what questions you should ask when deciding which exterminator you should choose.
Choose a Pest Control Company That is Licensed
Probably the most important requirement you should look for in a pest control company is to find one that has all the necessary licensing as required by the government of Ontario and by the federal government. Because they often use pesticides that can be damaging to the environment and human health, the government of Ontario requires pest control companies in Mississauga to have a pesticide exterminator license in order to legally apply pesticides commercially on any property type.
When you are searching for a pest management company in Mississauga make sure to ask for their licensing information so that you can call the provincial government to verify that it is in fact a fully licensed business. Licensing ensures that the pest control operators have the necessary training to safely apply any pest management treatments to your property.
Choose a Pest Control Company That is a Member of a Professional Association
Pest management organizations typically have strict guidelines and requirements for pest control companies to become members. They often require that member organizations abide by professional codes of conduct and take part in ongoing training so their pest control operators are always using the safest and newest pest management techniques.
Although this is not as important as ensuring they are fully licensed, looking for a pest control company who is part of a professional association will separate the mediocre companies from the great companies. Some of the professional associations that Mississauga pest control companies are often members of are:
- SPMAO – Structural Pest Management Association of Ontario or Ontario
- CPMA – Canadian Pest Management Association
- NPMA – National Pest Management Association
Pestend in Mississauga is a member of all three of the above associations. This allows us to stay up-to-date with current industry trends, treatment innovations and training.
Choose a Pest Control Company That Follows the Principles of Integrated Pest Management
The principles used in an integrated pest management approach to pest control problems is to come up with a solution that is environmentally friendly, safe to humans, economical and highly effective at combating the pest at hand. It also goes one step further to evaluate the entire premises putting safeguards in place to minimize the risk of future pest infestations by blocking easy access points or removing anything that may attract pests to your home. To learn more about IPM click here.
There are many low cost exterminators in Mississauga that can get rid of your immediate problem but because they do not use an IPM approach will not necessarily use the most effective solution leaving your house vulnerable for future infestations. Choosing a pest control company that uses these principles in their pest management approach will ensure that a safe and successful treatment is applied.
Qualifying Questions to Ask a Pest Control Company
When calling different pest control companies in Mississauga make sure to ask some qualifying questions so you can compare them and choose the best one for the job. Depending on the pest type that has infested your home and the severity of infestation, the chosen exterminator may have to use harmful chemicals or do some minor renovations to your home. For this reason you should only choose a reputable company with a proven track record dealing with pest infestations in Mississauga. Here are some common qualifying questions to ask when searching for a pest control company:
- How many years has the company been in business and what is their experience with the pest species infesting your home?
- How long has the pest control operator that will be working in your home been in business for and how long have they been certified?
- What type of guarantees does the company offer in case there is a subsequent infestation?
- Do their pest control operators undergo any type of ongoing training keeping them up to date with current best practices?
These are just some of the most important questions you should ask. The more information you could get to compare each company, the better as you will be trusting this company to safely remove pests from your home and likely paying them a hefty bill to do so.
What to Expect From a Professional Pest Control Company
Now that you have done all your research and chosen the right pest control company to rid your house of unwanted critters, here is a general guideline of what you should expect before and during the treatment process:
- Thorough Home Inspection – Prior to treatment your pest control company should do a thorough inspection of your home to determine the full extent of the infestation. This is also part of the IPM process and will assist them to choose the best treatment method for your situation.
- Design and Explanation of Their Plan – Following the home inspection, the exterminator will come up with a detailed plan of how to tackle the problem. They should then explain this plan to you detailing any risks involved with the treatment plan and/or chemicals they will be using, also explaining how long you will have to vacate your house for and if any preparation is required from your end.